Followers

Tuesday 14 November 2017

Hobbits

I did have a post in mind today but as I forgot to take any pictures I guess that will do another day.

So I am still looking for an overall project. I guess my main interest for years now has been painting figures for the Viking game. I guess I am about five hundred figures down that road now. There are now not that many figures in the queue. There are about another fifty in the queue and I guess I could buy figures almost indefinitely. I mean I only have a dozen berserkers and I don’t have enough Scandinavian lookings thieves. Not to mention nordic looking clerics and I can always use more civilians. For the most part even the monsters are done. Seriously though. I found a list a while back of potential figure purchases for this game. They would give me more of the same but I am not sure that they would actually add anything.

So that got me thinking. Maybe it is time to move to something a bit more mainstream fantasy. I have humans. I could probably manage at least one for every conceivable class and gender. I think I could probably manage that with dwarves, well maybe not female dwarves but there are a few potential figures that I might like, just for completeness. As for elves...well I am working on some at the moment and I already have a stack of wood elves.

In game terms that leaves me with hobbits and gnomes. I address the lack of gnomes a while back and there is a plan for these. As plans go, it would probably be overkill. As I recall in all my time playing RPGs there have only been two people who have played gnomes and they both played the gnomish version of Tim the Enchanter. I have a plan for about twenty figures which is way more than I could ever need. 

For a while I had been using some old Grenadier (now Mirliton) figures and just hid the feet. This was because I have numerous old  (very old) preslotta hobbits. Whilst I love these figures they are really small and I thought were a bit short even for 25mm. Nice as they are, I don't think I have ever used them.

Part of me hates to say it but I am looking back to GW for their LOTR hobbits. There are even a few other manufacturers out that that have figures in the right scale and size t match them. You don't see many female hobbits or figures that wouldn't be anything other that poorly equipped fighters or militia. No clerics or mages. 

So maybe this could be a direction for some point in the future. Throw in some conversions and paint up some hobbits and gnomes. No use for the Viking game but maybe I can find a wayto use them.




2 comments:

  1. Otherworld make the best Gnomes (some you may see on the blog). I like the Stonehaven ones but the price hike and shipping over the pond has me putting them off my radar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The otherworld stuff is some of the best on the market, there just isn't too much of it. I tend to want to do stuff en-masse. I have an idea to do a sci/fant rpg called Titansgrave which would require figures that could be converted for that as well as stuff for a fantasy game.


      The price of the stuff from the US can be a bit much. I've been burned a few times on exchange rates one of which lead to having to pay tax on top. It's got to be have to have and can get no where else stuff if I am ordering it from abroad.

      Delete