Followers

Tuesday, 14 November 2017

Hobbits

I did have a post in mind today but as I forgot to take any pictures I guess that will do another day.

So I am still looking for an overall project. I guess my main interest for years now has been painting figures for the Viking game. I guess I am about five hundred figures down that road now. There are now not that many figures in the queue. There are about another fifty in the queue and I guess I could buy figures almost indefinitely. I mean I only have a dozen berserkers and I don’t have enough Scandinavian lookings thieves. Not to mention nordic looking clerics and I can always use more civilians. For the most part even the monsters are done. Seriously though. I found a list a while back of potential figure purchases for this game. They would give me more of the same but I am not sure that they would actually add anything.

So that got me thinking. Maybe it is time to move to something a bit more mainstream fantasy. I have humans. I could probably manage at least one for every conceivable class and gender. I think I could probably manage that with dwarves, well maybe not female dwarves but there are a few potential figures that I might like, just for completeness. As for elves...well I am working on some at the moment and I already have a stack of wood elves.

In game terms that leaves me with hobbits and gnomes. I address the lack of gnomes a while back and there is a plan for these. As plans go, it would probably be overkill. As I recall in all my time playing RPGs there have only been two people who have played gnomes and they both played the gnomish version of Tim the Enchanter. I have a plan for about twenty figures which is way more than I could ever need. 

For a while I had been using some old Grenadier (now Mirliton) figures and just hid the feet. This was because I have numerous old  (very old) preslotta hobbits. Whilst I love these figures they are really small and I thought were a bit short even for 25mm. Nice as they are, I don't think I have ever used them.

Part of me hates to say it but I am looking back to GW for their LOTR hobbits. There are even a few other manufacturers out that that have figures in the right scale and size t match them. You don't see many female hobbits or figures that wouldn't be anything other that poorly equipped fighters or militia. No clerics or mages. 

So maybe this could be a direction for some point in the future. Throw in some conversions and paint up some hobbits and gnomes. No use for the Viking game but maybe I can find a wayto use them.




1 comment:

  1. Otherworld make the best Gnomes (some you may see on the blog). I like the Stonehaven ones but the price hike and shipping over the pond has me putting them off my radar.

    ReplyDelete