Wednesday, 1 April 2015

The End Of A Slow Month

This is my first post for about a month. It's amazing how time flies when you are having fun. I moved over a month ago and I am just about getting sorted. Today I have managed to get my painting desk back up and running, well just about. I haven't put t back the way it was as I have a plan, well half a plan anyway. What I have will do for the moment.

As well this, I have a workspace. Or a garage. Originally it looked like I would have a lot of space in it but for the old furniture that is to be turned in chavvy, I mean shabby chic, by my other half. I have a few projects planned.  First is huge coffee table which will hopefully be good for gaming. This will hopefully be followed up by an 8x4 gaming table.

Until then, I have started doing a bit of figure painting. More fantasy with a few dark age figures thrown in. Again I'll put some pictures up as things progress.

Friday, 27 February 2015

I Am Not Spock (Anymore)

I've just heard that Leonard Nimoy has just died. Almost but not quite the last of the crew of the Starship Enterprise. Perhaps the most talented of the cast although George Takei is pretty funny I haven't seen in him anything like as much as Mr Nimoy. He career was sadly dogged by the role and he suffered in the kind of roles that he got. He was a talented writer and director (Three Men and a Baby not withstanding).

Although I followed the other path, Star Trek did have affect on me when I was growing up. Spock had the ability to sit back from the emotional decisions which is something I think we could all be better at. If we all be as funny as Leonard Nimoy, I would be a happy man. 

Tuesday, 10 February 2015

Skyranger MK II What Did X-Com Ever Do For Us?

Another shot of the Skyranger. This time with the wings folded down and I managed to get the whole image. I think this is the version I am going to use for the game. I know the wings should probably be out when it's moving slowly but I think it's going to be easy to use in practice. I might to be putting it onto a background and doing something with the interior in the next day or so. It should give me something to do that isn't complaining.

Monday, 9 February 2015


I was just playing about with an idea for a game again. I had some time to kill and a laptop sat in front of me. So it's back to the X-Com game again. This is my first draft of Skyranger. This will be part of the game set up and terrain for the game when I get it started. I am  not sure why I am only getting a bit of the image to show up on screen but I have done the whole top side of the vessel. I have just about scaled if for 28mm, I think. That should become clear when the next version comes out which should have an interior lay out. The plan is to do a cutaway for moving around inside the Skyranger. This may be a bit old school, but I liked the original game more but I like the newer graphics better. the idea is that there will also be an interior and this model is just about right to allow six troops, two pilots and a ramp down to the ground. I plan to do two versions, one on a tarmac back ground and one on a green turf background just so I can have a bit of variety. I may even get a bit of use for this model if I ever get around to running the For All Mankind game again.

Saturday, 10 January 2015

View From The Window - Not Really A Gaming Post

I have had an easy day. The house was empty and aside from a load of little jobs, I have only a little time to do some gaming stuff. By he time I had done everything I was to tired to paint anything so I sat down and took a look out the window. Oddly there was a pheasant on the fence staring at me.
A bit more interesting that the usual squirrels.


I am on a roll again. Well no, not really. I finished this off last year and I am just now getting round to posting the picture. I got these last year, so not the oldest figures I have but at least it goes to show I am painting what I buy. I say that and try not to think about the boxful if dark age lead I have floating about.

I got these last year when Heresy were having a sale. I am getting better at not doing the "shiny" I must buy it thing. Age brings patience I guess. There were a few minis that I wanted from them so I took advantage of the sale.There is another one somewhere but I couldn't find it when I got round to basing it so I suspect that it will get painted  up as something else.

Thursday, 8 January 2015

Je Suis Charlie

Having lived through one terrorist bombing and came seriously close to another, I am not  a big fan of people who try to use terror to try to get their own way. I have been watching the news unfold much of the day. I hope they get what they deserve and I am pretty sure that this does not involve any number of virgins.

What worries me more is that people will act on this. I can see UKIP having a field day. The more reactionary we get, the more reactionary the terrorists will become. I also feel for those who will suffer because of the actions of a tiny minority of Muslims.

Religion should not be used as an excuse to do these sort of things to people. It makes me question the merits of religion at all.

My thoughts are with the victims and all those who are suffering because of it. So what else is there to say. Je suis Charlie.