Followers

Sunday 28 April 2019

Getting There - The Subtle Art Of Getting Figure Painting Done Right

A few years ago I set myself the goal of becoming a better miniature painter. This has done a lot for my skill level and my enjoyment of the hobby. Life is struggle. The last three weeks of figure painting has reminded me of that.

This week has been a reminder of that. On the plus side a lot of the figures I have been working on were a lot closer to completion than I thought. So far I have gotten through about two thirds of what was on the bench with much of the rest being being close to completion. If I didn't have a magnifying lamp showing up every last blemish I would say that they were done.

Realistically it has been the Malifaux figures that are taking up the bulk of the work. I like them and want to do a good job on them but they are taking ages. There is a lot of detail crammed into not a huge amount more space than you find on a regular model. I don't much like the way the do faces, on the old metal figures at least, and getting the skin right on them has been a beast. There is one figure in particular that I haven't started yet because the thought of gluing two spindly arms to two spindly hands carry swords (and not smashing them of in the process of painting) is really putting me off.

This has been a struggle. I will come back to the Malifaux figures but it might be a few weeks. Fir the sake of my own sanity it's time for a few quick wins.

1 comment:

  1. That all sounds very recognizable, ... and it's one of the reasons I'm moving more and more towards 15mm and one-piece models (Oathsworn, World of Twilight).
    Can't you pin the arms? That might solve your problem.

    ReplyDelete