Followers

Thursday 4 April 2019

Projects New And Old

Although I am more than happy with my total output of figures, for a while now, I have been casting around for a new project. Whilst there have been no shortage of projects it has only really been the Viking game that has been what I would call a major operation. This has geared most of my fantasy stuff as well although there have been a few similar projects, like the gnolls, that have caught my eye. Part of me would like to get back involved with this project but I think it's time for something else.
The majority of my work so far this year
Going back to what I was saying not so long ago about getting involved in projects with others I have an eye on that. This is tempered with the need to do something that other people might actually play. Titansgrave was the only thing in the last year or so that has really hit home. When I started on it I had the expectation that there would be a little more support which hasn't materialised. There are minis that I am struggling to find (space elves that are not wearing combat armour for instance) which makes things difficult. That said, I have a good chunk of figures that could be used and it wouldn't be too costly to get the rest of what I need.

Conspiracy X is a much beloved game from my past. It's a bit like the X Files or Delta Green (without the Eldritch Horror but lots of supernatural and alien stuff instead). Every now and again I think of doing a reboot. Doing a version in Savage Worlds always appeals. There is a plot I can just walk into playing which would be fun. There would need to be a good chunk of money on figures though.

X-Com is on the horizon. My plan kind of morphed into using Chronicle X but I am still working on what to do with that. The last computer game did my head in. All in all I am not really feeling it.

Post Apocalypse often seems to be the next logical choice. It is probably my most beloved genre and I have several ideas for games. This has never been a game that loved me back. Outside of Fallout, people don't seem to like the idea. Oddly, given my love for the game, I don't actually have a lot of figures. Maybe I am comparing that to the Viking Game which I have a lot of figures for (not quite enough to break the suspension on my car but enough to make me aware of it when I am driving). If I sat down and worked out what I have I might have more than I think.

At the time I was thinking about the Viking Game I was also thinking about doing a game set in Japan in the 17th century which was kind of like the Journey To The West (that's Monkey to you). This is a project that I would have to start from scratch. Whilst I love the idea it's just too much money. It is this idea that is making me think about this whole process right now so it might not be a dead duck.

None of my projects are really hitting the spot. I have painted a few Malifaux figures. I am enjoying that a lot but I don't see me getting a game any time soon. The 1940s stuff has also been fun and I have quite a few Germans to do yet. Whilst these will get done the real plan was for something else, what I am doing at the moment is more for another GMs project that I am playing. This is the same for Star Wars.

Since starting figure painting again a few months ago I have been all over the place. In fairness I am kind of enjoying it but it lacks any sense of purpose. What I am doing is just for kicks but I get a bigger buzz from having a purpose. The real world is making my life pretty gnarly at the moment for the first time in decades. It would be nice to have something to work towards.

2 comments:

  1. As someone who switches between a lot of projects, I can empathise, but if you are enjoying the hobby that is a really important thing to hang on to I think.

    Good luck nailing down the project thta grabs you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems I am being dragged into someone else's project again lok

      Delete