Followers

Wednesday 13 February 2019

Shedding Light (Well Lamps)

My eyesight seems to be getting worse. A few years ago I started to need reading glasses and it was never much good anyway. I have been using a magnifying lamp for years and this helps my figure painting become acceptable rather than a bit blobby. Still, I do okay I think.

When I was in the process of setting up the table I went to find my old lamp. The picture below shows you what I found. it was a bit of a blow. It was a great lamp. Good magnification and the anglepoise made it pretty much perfect. On top of that it was mispriced when I got it and it cost less than half price. An absolute bargain. It's well over ten years old and has seen some action.
Even more of a blow as I am a little short of money at the moment. So it came as a pleasant surprise when I found this in Aldi for £20. It's a fair but smaller, not anglepoise and for the most part the magnification is not quite as good.

Cheap has a quality all of its own. For something this cheap it works well enough. There is enough posability to make it work. The lens, although not massive is comfortable and has a sweet spot which, whilst small, is probably better than what I had. All in all a good waste of £20. If you need a lamp it is well worth the money.

I did find a couple of alternatives at Hobbycraft. they do look much better but are more exspensive

No comments:

Post a Comment