Followers

Saturday 23 February 2019

What Next?

So I am in the middle of the biggest painting binge I can remember and I am worrying about my mojo going. It's not quite irony but I can't think what else to call it.

I was saying that I have been enjoying painting figures for my Viking game. Viking history has been a big part of my life during this process too and I have learned a lot and enjoyed the process. Over the years gaming has caused me to do a lot of reading especially in the area of history so it has to be a good thing. So I guess I am looking for the next thing to catch my imagination

Part of me wants to say that I am running out of figures to paint for this game (I think have painted at least 550 figures so far). Obviously I am not running out of figures. No figure painter ever does. There are boxes of the things, some older than most of the gamers I know.

The thing is what I have isn't lighting my candle much into a few weeks away. Having been subject to the random shaftathon that is life I have gone from being relatively wealthy to being the poorest I have ever been. Taking inflation into account I haven't been this poor since I was a student.

Now is the time to look back at my annual plan. Titansgrave (with some double use for Shadowrun) is on my mind and I like the idea of painting this. At the moment I have no players that are interested this game so it isn't lighting my fire. Post-apocalypse is lighting my fire but I don't think I have figures to paint. I have plenty of plastic Frostgrave stuff but again I don't have a game to run and they don   't fit with the dark-age vibe of the Viking game or anything else. Some of the gnolls were expected to go into Titansgrave but, well, erm...meh. General fantasy is a way to go but I lack the energy and enthusiasm for this. X-Com is still floating around and whilst I would be happy to work on that I don't think I have any actual figures for that project. I have a load of Star wars Legion rebels to do. My plan was to convert a load of them so they were more useful for an RPG I just can't find the stuff  I need to convert them as almost everything is still in boxes.

Last year saw my worst ever output in terms of figure painting and the start of this year hasn't been good either. My plan, for now at least, is to catch up for the year so quick wins would be nice. There are a ton of zombie and zombie related figures to do. These should be reasonably quick. This is kind of more appealing. A few months ago I primed a load of Home Guard. These two should be fairly quick. There are a couple of Blood Bowl teams ready to go but this will take a lot of work so not a quick win.

So the time where I am looking into the lead (and resin and plastic) mountain is here. Having made a lot of inroads into the mountain in the last few years I feel I should be working on that (especially as this needs to be a frugal year). Somehow I can't help but think there is a new project out there for me.

3 comments:

  1. The painting mojo is a fickle bitch but it strikes us all, pick something you really like or something brand new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking through the mountain and there is little that is catching my imagination at the moment.

      Delete
  2. After the talk we had on G+ you gave me the drive to start a new project :). While searching for things to do I came across the short to be released Rangers of Shadow Deep. Which, together with the fact that it's cooperative (which is ideal when playing with children), sounded like something I would like to do.
    Everything fell into place after that.

    So, hopefully you'll come across some game or idea that sparks your imagination soon too and makes your creative brain working in overdrive again. Perhaps it's a book, a movie or something else you find on your way.
    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete