Followers

Tuesday 13 November 2018

To Paint Or Not To Paint - Semi Professionally

Today, for the first time in a long time, I have sat down with the intention to paint something for sale. As it happens I didn't do anything for sale in fact I didn't do anything at all. My workbench is my dining table and I didn't get much time to do anything before having to pack things up.

I have been trying to come up with a way to price my figures. Whichever way I look at it, if I want to do it professionally, I have to charge a lot. A decent paint job takes about an hour for a fairly basic uniform and maybe more. Doing a character figure or one with a complicated uniform of camouflage takes even longer. This does not take account of gluing things together, basing, prepping and all the rest. This is putting me off. If each figure is going to take about an hour then the price is going to be huge. I cannot see me charging less than £10 per hour and £15 seems more reasonable.

Has anyone paid for people to paint figures in the past? If you did, what did you pay and how happy were you with what you got?

1 comment:

  1. Many professional painters use techniques to speed up the painting process. Many also fail in delivering the promised quality.
    That being said, when painting more complex schemes, a lot of professional painters also have a subcharge (extra highlight, camouflage, lens effect). They start out at £5-8 (depending on their skill and promised quality) for a basic job. You can find a lot of information online.

    I did have a small skirmish group (7 to 8 minis if I'm not mistaken) being painted but was far from happy with them afterwards and did some improvements myself. Not entirely sure about the price anymore, but I believe it was close to a €100.

    ReplyDelete