My mind is rally all over the place at the moment. So this post is being written and rewritten as things happen. As I type I am being used as a foot rest by my daughter. This is a lot more fun than it sounds. She is so enthusiastic about everything. Especially snacks. I kinda think I should be getting her out of the house but she seems so happy where she is.
I was up early and needed to do something quiet. So painting seemed like the right thing to do. So I got a couple of colours done on the Soviets. I rarely play British modern forces. That makes me think about a few long gone friends and relatives. So the Soviets are a little easier, from a psychological point of view as well as a painting one. I always used to like playing the Americans as I didn't mind losing so much.
At some point I was trying to figure out what I need for the Soviets. HMGs are right up there. I was trying to get some more SMGs too. These Warlord minis are not my favourite. They have separate weapons which gives a whole load of modelling options. Which is nice. They can err towards jazz hands and getting the weapons to fit is, well, entertaining at times. So I was looking for something else. There is a box of Siberian Veterans but I think they are out of production.To give myself the option of rifle and SMG squads with options, I need seventy minis for four of them. Heavy weapons is another ten. A few lighter support weapons and options is at least another ten. Command options is also coming in at around ten. I only have the one vehicle, a T34.
A random T34
I'll need a few more infantry. The Siberian veterans would be great as I think they come with plastic HMGs and I want two of them. An anti tank gun or two and maybe some observers would round out the foot troops. Need to think about the armour. If one phrase summed up how I wargame it would be "not a tanker". I may need to check the page for spelling errors.
I have about ninety to one hundred figures to paint. With some more needed. As I said previously, I feel a certain amount of resistance to painting them. Partly because of the numbers but I have no immediate plan for them. A new OPFOR for sUnderDground maybe. I have some Copplestone Neosovs I was planning to use but these are chunky compared to the other plastics.
There are another three weeks of the summer holidays so maybe I will get a third of them done and then move on to something else. As someone who is always hopeful, I might make faster progress. This is perhaps the simplest paint scheme I've done in some time. Being the Russian army, their clothing and gear is exceptionally uniform 🤔 and somewhat basic.
If I do the infantry first I might be able to maintain the interest in the project. The real itch is XCOM but the aren't even out yet. So get these done and move on to Paranoia, some more Sludge and the Quar.
No comments:
Post a Comment