Followers

Monday, 20 July 2026

Start Of The Week - Three Colour Minimum

There is this old idea found predominantly in club based wargaming of the three colour minimum. All figures on a table should be painted and in order to qualify as painted, a mini must have at least three separate colours on it.

Deep inside me is a streak that does not like this. There is an element of my personality that has elements of oppositional defiance disorder. Now I have to say I favour pretty looking games this means the minis need to be painted. When someone tells me that I can't do something, I generally want to do it. Back in the day this meant painting WW2 American micro armour in basically green with a separate colour for tracks. So two colours. I did try to put together a, erm, "skyclad" force that were bald and, erm, "shaven". I could just not find the right minis at the time.

This in a roundabout way is bringing me to this weeks project. Ten 1980s British squaddies in NBC gear. Whilst not an expert on the subject, these look like the MK3 suit, which was basically green. It's a bit hard to say stuff about the webbing but it is probably 1958 pattern so a slightly different shade of green.
You have black boots, gas mask and mostly black rifle. When I say black, I should probably say very dark grey. The rifle would probably have an OG handguard (that's olive green and not old guard). The gloves should probably be black but then they would fade into the rifle. A lighter shade of green would work. I am toying with brown but I am thinking about that three coloi(not shade) minimum.

These guys are just not going to pop. To make something closer to popping, they are going to need some highlights. Green ones. It would make sense to use some sort of metallic colour for the lenses on the mask. I could even put a red line around the filter on the mask.

Whatever I do, these should not take too long to paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment